My Personal Collection

I spend all this time talking about what other people can do, so it’s only fair to ask, “What decks do you play, Vice Lord of all MTG knowledge?” 

Brilliant question. This post will take you on a tour through the constructed decks I currently have, my two most recent favorite Arena decks, and finally. Feel free to share your decks and building processes in the comments if you have any! If you’d like to see a deck list, simply click on the title name for each deck and you’ll be taken to a Moxfield link. 

Enough intro, time to dive in, shall we?


Roalesk, Apex Hybrid

So this deck holds a special place in my heart; not only because I made all my creatures Pokémon, but also since it is my newest and strongest deck in the collection. I started playing Roalesk about two years ago, intrigued by the uniqueness of the commander. Then I realized, cloning Roalesk could lead to hilariously epic plays. Then, the commander death rules changed (see here if you’re unfamiliar), making Roalesk even more of a monster. My hope is to someday make this deck 100% optimized to be able to sit at a CEDH table. 


Grand Warlord Radha

Radha Radha Radha. I have LOVED Radha cards since I was a newbie in the game. WOTC always seems to make her cards flavorful and dynamic. I tore apart the original version of this deck, which made friends in my play group quite sad to my surprise. This seemed to be the most popular deck for people to play against, so I’ve brought it back. This deck has been an aggravated assault build, then elf ball, and now it currently runs as a landfall/aggro deck. This is probably the longest running build in my arsenal, and Gem’s personal favorite. 


Kykar, Wind's Fury

Two words; artifacts EVERYWHERE. This deck is an absolute blast to play! I’ve wanted a storm deck for a while, and with all the artifacts I’ve gathered over time, this deck was very fun to brew. It’s convoluted, explosive, and splashy in all the right ways. If you’ve ever wanted to build a storm deck, I highly recommend looking at Kykar as your commander. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use the custom Danny Phantom tokens I’ve made.


The Boys

This is an accidental theme deck that I will most likely never tear apart. The Superfriends tribe is one I think every player should have in their collection. Many people use different commanders, but Golos, Tireless Pilgrim has proved to be a vital part of the build. His seven-mana ability may seem like a stretch, but trust me when I say it’s sometimes more fun to use than the actual cards in your hand. Born from an edible-fueled brewing session, this deck is inspired by the Justice League and Amazon prime’s The Boys


Niv-Mizzet, Parun

This is the newest kid on the block in my collection. Inspired from an anniversary present from Gem, I built this purely for the hell of it. I see this deck as a casual version of Kykar, and a fun way to give casual players a screwy deck to play against. Anybody that has played a Niv-Mizzet deck will know that, once your engine is online, the chaos that can ensue is glorious. 


My Competitive Arena Decks:


Standard 

As of writing this, we are still in the wake of Kaldehiem. This set brought me a lot of cards I instantly fell in love with; however, one in particular stands out from the rest. Fynn is not only one of the most entertainingly sneaky ways to kill an opponent in standard, he is also a perfect card to build around. I spent a while crafting a proper home for this card, and I finally struck gold not too long ago. This is also the deck that has gotten me my fastest (non-forfeit) Arena win to date, with a turn four infect kill. There are many ways to brew with Fynn, so try a different build and see what you come up with! Trust me, it feels almost limitless. 


Historic 

I frankly love the color white in Magic. I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite, but it’s an underdog I’ve had a soft spot for since I started playing. Lifegain is a mechanic that I have a soft spot for as well, which makes this deck a blast for me to play. Since I got back into Arena once it arrived to Mac, I’ve been trying hard to craft a lifegain deck that could carry me through the competitive rankings. This most recent build is the best yet. The deck does a great job of outlasting fast decks, and beating slower decks down into submission. I also recommend everyone play a lifegain deck at one point in their Magic career, because it’s an absolute blast! 

-Harland

Editor: Gemini Díaz Velázquez

IG: @_Harleys_angels

Twitter: @TyronicTheTrill

That’s it, y'all. Why are you still reading? Go home, play Magic, pet a dog. Fine, if I promise to make a Cobra Kai deck next week, will you go away?




Comments

Popular Posts